Costs To Move a Piano
The costs to move a piano in Perth will vary greatly in the size and type when considering Removalists in Perth to do it for you.
Buying a piano is a thrilling experience, but hiring a piano removalist and mover can be a slightly confusing one. Knowing what pay range is normal and what you can expect from the experience demystifies the situation and allows you to simply enjoy your new piano.
What is Included in a Piano Move?
The piano removalists will wrap your piano in blankets to protect it when they pick it up from the store or house. They will move it into their truck, securing it with straps so it won’t be damaged in transit, using tail-lifts to keep it upright as much as possible. At your house, the removalists will unload it from the truck and put it in your house in the location you indicate, navigating the steps, doorways and turns.
If there are steps or awkward entrances, or even if it has to be lifted through a window using a crane, quality piano removalists can handle the situation. Be sure you know exactly where you want the piano to go in your house, as you will not want to attempt to move it yourself! Do this to keep the costs to move a piano to a minimum. Some services that require additional costs are obtaining insurance on the piano, moving the piano up steps and lifting the piano through a window.
- Local moves typically cost from $250 to $450 for an upright piano to $750 for a grand or baby grand.
- Long distance moves range from $800 to $3000, but distance and the accessibility of beginning and end locations make this price estimate fluctuate wildly.
- Stairs are usually billed per stair, and you can expect to pay between $4 and $24 per stair. Sometimes the company will just give a flat fee for a flight of stairs, usually around $200.
- Insurance is billed on a weight basis. A upright piano weighs approximately 200 kg, a baby grand weighs approximately 280 kg and a grand piano weighs 400 kg. Insurance rates are about $8 per kg. Alternatively, some insurance is billed based on the piano value rather than the weight. In this case, the cost is usually $20 per $2000 of piano value.
- Senior discounts are sometimes available from piano removalists and movers, and can usually save you 5%-10%.
Some people will see the piano moving estimates listed above and decide to take on the piano move themselves. A word of caution: renting a truck to move the piano will be about $250, but there is no way to insure the piano against human error. At 280 kg, these pianos are heavy and awkward. Moving a piano across a flat surface is deceptively easy; coaxing that piano up a ramp, or even over a single step, is significantly more difficult.
Moving an upright piano into a house with a single flight of stairs will run about $500. This will be done easily. With the special talents and experience of the piano removalists, you will be able to enjoy playing your new piano quickly and painlessly.
Most of the time, they will pick up the piano without you having to be there, so you can wait at home and only dedicate 30 minutes or less of your day to this endeavor. More time to enjoy your new piano!
If you need more information from reliable and experienced removalists and mover in Perth the contact us.