Moving house and losing sleep over all the things you need to get done before the big move? Don’t stress! Here is a list of 10 things you can do to prepare for a move.
1) Get organised Pack early – the week before you move get packing, before you say you need everything – you don’t. Books you have already read, coats when its summer, 10 of your 20 plates, linen you’re not sleeping in, all these things can be boxed up and moved. If you know how to drive, own a car and the move isn’t too far, start moving things across now. You will feel much better when things start to move smoothly. This also won’t make moving day as big and scary, half your possessions are already moved!
2) Change your address – Don’t wait till the last minute to change your address. It will probably take you a few days if not weeks to remember to change all your addresses so start right now. Bank statements, bills, eBay purchases, your dentist, friends and family – all these people need and want to know your new address. It will also help you to remember it.
3) Turn Off and Cancel Everything – Cancel your deliveries or have them go to your new address a few days before the move. If you get the paper or subscribe to a magazine either cancel or change your address. The day of the move turn off the power, hot water, gas, internet and anything else that is costing you money.
4) Prepare Packing A few weeks before your move – start saving newspapers and collecting boxes for the move. If you are going back and forth a few boxes will do as you can unpack and repack as you go. A great idea to save you time and money is to wrap all glass wear and crockery in clothes and tea towels. Choose t-shirts, and singlets to wrap cups and use tea towels for plates. This eliminates the need for newspapers which can turn everything black and means a chunk of your clothes are packed too, two birds one stone!
5) What’s the Weather? – A few days before you move start checking the weather forecast. If you have already booked a removalist this shouldn’t be changed but if it looks like it is going to rain be prepared with umbrellas, tarps and towels. Have towels at the door so the removalist and anyone else helping out doesn’t walk dirt into your new home.
6) Heat Up. Defrost your freezer and turn off the fridge. – These should both be done at least a day before. Try to eat all perishables in the weeks coming up to a move and stop buying foods that need to be kept cool. There is nothing worse then wasting food or stressing about food melting during a move.
7) Pets! – This can be a tough one, both cats and dogs take a while to get used to their new surroundings. It’s a good idea if you can drive back and forth moving smaller items to take your pets with you. This way they can get used to the new house before you move. Try taking a few toys or a food bowl with you. This will help calm them down and be one less thing for you to drive across on moving day.
8) Removalist – Book and get to know your removalist. If you haven’t learnt to drive a car with a trailer or a truck then a removalist company is a must. Most can be hired by the hour and offer packing, unpacking, wrapping, assembly and disassembly services. Opt for just removals and relocation or for the whole package! Just know what they will do before they arrive. Time is money.
9) Get Everything – Triple check you have everything, check in every drawer and cupboard, look in the back shed, under the deck and in the laundry, then have someone else look. There is nothing worse then losing your possessions during a move!
10) Clean – Get prepared to scrub or hire a cleaner. If you are renting you definitely want your bond back and if you are selling – having a clean and fresh home will raise the price. Either be prepared to get down and dirty or look around for a bond back cleaner. They specialise in cleaning ovens, steam cleaning carpets and scrubbing bathrooms. All those jobs you might not want to do! You may also need to look into skip bin hire if you have a range of hard rubbish to dispose of before moving in to your new place! Lastly enjoy your new home and plan a housewarming. Moving is hard, you deserve a party!
For all your moving needs, please contact Emmanuel Transport at 0459673596.